Canada is a North American country that shares land borders with only the United States, but maritime borders with Greenland, the Atlantic Ocean to the east, the Pacific Ocean to the west, and the Arctic Ocean to the north. It is the continent’s largest country and the world’s second-largest by land area, behind Russia. Canada is the northernmost country in North America, ahead of the United States. Almost 90% of Canadians live within 160 kilometers of the border with the United States of America.Canada occupies roughly half of the continent of North America. Canada is a multicultural, progressive, peaceful, and hospitable country renowned for its pristine wilderness and breathtaking natural beauty. Canada is divided into 10 provinces and 3 territories: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories (T), Nunavut (T), and Yukon (T).

Canada’s education system is provided, funded, and administered by the provinces, territories, and municipalities. Due to the absence of a federal agency or a national education system in Canada, each province is responsible for its own curriculum. Each system is similar yet distinct in critical ways. The Council of Ministers of Education in Canada (CMEC) is a non-governmental organization created in 1967 by education ministers. CMEC is a leader in education across Canada and around the world, and it helps provinces and territories keep control of their own education.

In Canada, it is compulsory for children to get an education. Each province has its own compulsory education age, which ranges from 5 to 7 years old to 16 or 18 years old or until a high school diploma is obtained. It is the parent’s obligation to ensure that their children attend school or get homeschooled. In Canada, the academic year is 190 days long, beginning in September (after Labor Day) and ending in June (typically the last Friday of the month), except in Quebec, where the last day of school is just before June 24, a provincial holiday. Provinces provide free public education. Private and religious schools are also accessible. Canada’s educational system is composed of pre-school, elementary, middle, and high schools, as well as higher (post-secondary) education. In most of Canada, English is the primary language of instruction. However, French-language education is widely available across Canada. Certain schools may provide instruction in both languages. Pupils in Quebec are required to attend school in French. While English schools are popular in French-speaking Quebec, government regulations limit enrollment to discourage their use. Students attending any level of education in Canada are not required to be multilingual. Regardless of the original language, French or English as a second language is often taught from an early age.

In Canada, pre-school, or ‘kindergarten’, is the initial level of schooling for children aged four to five or six. It is taught in public, private, and government institutions. Preschool is typically free for the first year, and some jurisdictions, such as Quebec, provide additional free years. Attendance in these programs is voluntary in most jurisdictions, except Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. These programs vary in length; some are full days, some are half days, and others are a combination of the two. The alphabet, pre-reading, counting, music, art, and games are presented to prepare children for success in the next level of education (primary school). All kindergarten and early childhood programs across the country also teach kids how to interact, behave, and socialize well in groups and with their peers.

Primary education, or elementary school, normally begins in grade 1 for students aged six or seven and continues until grade six, seven, or eight for students aged eleven to twelve. Children in primary school are often assigned to a single teacher for the whole of the school year and are taught in a single classroom. Additionally, depending on the nature and degree of the student’s difficulties, special education programs may have one to four instructional aids available during the day to support the instructor. The primary school curriculum covers a range of subjects, including mathematics, reading, language arts (often English but also French in Quebec), social studies, history, geography, science, music, art, and physical education. When students learn new skills, the complexity of the curriculum increases a little with each grade.

In Canada, secondary education is separated into two levels: middle school and high school. Pupils are promoted to middle or junior high school after finishing their last year of elementary or primary school, or Grade 6. Grade 7 (ages 12–13) and Grade 8 (ages 13–14) are the two years of middle school. Pupils in 7th grade are exposed to a variety of classes and teachers during the day. These teachers are subject experts who must possess a single-subject teaching credential. The main objective of middle school is to prepare students for high school. They are taught many of the same things as in elementary school , but at a much higher level. Middle school also introduces new subjects. High school is the last stage of secondary education and lasts four years until students reach grade 11 or 12, depending on their circumstances and province. In Ontario, there is a grade 12+. In Quebec, students graduate from high school at the age of sixteen. CEGEP is a two-year public college where students may earn a university preparation or vocational diploma, which is their next step. High school classes have gotten much more specialized. Rather than studying “science,” students may choose to specialize in physics, biology, or chemistry, narrowing their academic concentration. Assignments and assessments get more lengthy and sophisticated, and teachers become more demanding. All Canadian high schools include a curriculum designed to prepare students for postsecondary education or vocational success. Some states even offer dual credit programs, which allow students to earn both high school and college credit. Canadian high schools have developed their curriculums meticulously to best prepare students for college. To graduate from high school, students must pass provincial tests in a variety of subjects. The objective is to determine whether or not students have acquired the knowledge that the government deems necessary. Failure to pass all provincial tests is an issue that might jeopardize an individual’s ability to find acceptable employment or even post-secondary education. Exams are often the most challenging aspect of a student’s K-12 education. A spectacular graduation celebration commemorates the end of the 12th grade, when the majority of pupils are 18 years old and have earned a certificate. Around 90% of Canadian high school students get a diploma.

The provinces and territories are responsible for all college and university education in Canada. Provincial governments finance the majority of public post-secondary schools, with tuition fees, the federal government, and research grants covering the balance.After completing high school (Secondary V in Quebec), Canadian students have the option of applying to colleges and universities to continue their education, although this is not compulsory. In Canadian vernacular, a college is often a small community school that focuses mostly on vocational or trade education, while a university is an institution that confers degrees in a variety of disciplines. It is highly common for students to attend college for a few years before enrolling in university, especially if their grades were not good enough to get admission directly after high school. Along with community colleges that provide some vocational training, students may pursue a trade or profession at one of the many private vocational and technical schools located around the country, or via an apprenticeship program. University degrees are sorted into three tiers: bachelor’s degrees (3–4 years), master’s degrees (1-2 years), and doctoral degrees (3-5/6 years). In most instances, bachelor’s degree programs in Quebec last three years rather than four; nevertheless, students who did not graduate from high school in Quebec must complete an extra year of study. Almost every post-secondary institution in Canada is authorized to confer academic certifications (i.e., diplomas or degrees). In the same way that universities give out bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, colleges give out diplomas, associate degrees, and (usually vocational) certificates.

Kindly visit Canada’s admission details page for more information about admission to universities, tuition costs, and more. (

Students wishing to study in Canada must also consider living arrangements and accommodation. The cost of living has been estimated here. Depending on your budget, expectations, and other conditions, you may choose among rental apartments, university accommodation (dorms, residences, and townhouses), home stays, and hostels in Canada. In shared living situations (apartment, house, or student housing), monthly room rent is between $700 and $1,000 CAD on average. Consider also that Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal have higher average rental rates than small towns and cities. The “choosing accommodation” article explains how to choose accommodation and provides further information.


Canada’s public transit system is extensive. Your daily trips to school, the grocery store, and across the city will be effortless and simple. Buses, trains, taxis, subways, and light-rail trains are available in Canada. Depending on the distance to your destination, you may also go there by bicycle or on foot. A ticket or pass is needed to use public transit. Passes provide unlimited use of public transportation for a certain time period, often monthly or yearly. They are usually less expensive than buying bus tickets. Student discounted passes are available for several modes of transportation. CAMPASS Card in Vancouver, PRESTO Card in Toronto, and OPUS Card in Montreal. Generally, tickets are accessible in convenience stores, major transport hubs, and from bus drivers (a precise amount is required). In most Canadian cities, bus travel is more economical and convenient, accessible citywide and in the suburbs but more frequent in urban areas. Both Toronto and Montréal have subway systems. Light rail (Tram) is available in Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Waterloo, and Toronto. However, Toronto is the only Canadian city that still operates trams.


Every city and town has a taxi service. Taxis are expensive, so many individuals only utilize them when they have no other option. Taxis may be requested by telephone, taxi stand, or on the street. Taxis set rates that are used by meters to calculate the cost of your trip based on the distance traveled and any taxes. Taxi rate estimates are available at the alternatives to taxis are ride-sharing services such as Uber and Lyft, which may be booked through smartphone apps. They are seen as more affordable and convenient.


If you prefer to drive, you may either buy or rent a car. We believe international students are better off renting than buying. You can rent a car locally or use services such as Modo, Zipcar, and Evo. When you first arrive in Canada with a valid license from your home country, you may only be able to drive for a limited time. The International Driving Permit (IDP) is often required of international students. However, before driving a car, we advise students to be familiar with all driving rules and regulations.


Cycling is quite popular in Canada. The nation has several bike paths and protected bike lanes. You may also ride a bike and use public transit. New bicycles are sold at retailers including Walmart, Canadian Tire, and Sportchek, while used Bicycles are sold at local bike shops or online at Sports Junkies or Craigslist. Bicycle hire is also offered at local bike stores and via firms such as Mobi. Translink cycling maps feature routes, services, and recommendations for riding on public transportation. It is vital to always follow the rules and wear a helmet. Bike lights are required at night, as well as luminous apparel and locks to prevent bicycle theft.

Intercity travel is commonly by airplane, train, vehicle, or bus. There are airports with regular flights in every major city. Small towns and rural areas lack airports, so you will need to fly to the closest airport, then hire a vehicle, take the train, or take a bus to reach your location. Ferries are popular in coastal places like British Columbia and the Atlantic.Despite the fact that long-distance bus travel is time-consuming, it has a number of benefits. You may save money by riding the bus to and from cities, as well as going to smaller villages without a vehicle. Intercity travel is also possible by rail, which has a huge network. Canada is a large nation with significant distances between cities. A lengthy trip may be exhausting and time-consuming. Otherwise, the country’s railroad network is quite efficient. The national train service is operated by VIA Rail ( You can book tickets as well as see the schedule on their website.


There are so many fun activities to do in your spare time in Canada, which is a breathtaking country. After exhausting yourself with studies or during a break, you will certainly require some form of amusement, and you will never be without options in Canada. Concerts, movies, comedy shows, the beach, and parks are all options for entertainment in your city. However, traveling is the best way to experience Canada. You will be able to visit Niagara Falls, go bungee jumping in Ottawa, go on a polar bear safari in Churchill, watch whales in Victoria, and spend a weekend at Banff and Jasper National Parks.


If you want to study in Canada for an extended period of time, you will likely need to open a bank account. You’ll be happy to learn that the procedure is rather simple. Some banks also permit account opening online prior to arrival in Canada. You will want a Canadian dollar student account (checking) with no monthly fees. A Canadian student account will make it simple to withdraw money, send money transfers to your friends, and shop online. You may only want a student checking account, or you may want a savings account to keep some money separate and to save money for longer periods of time, as your money earns more interest here than in a checking account. Many Canadian student banking packages give the opportunity to create a combined checking and savings account that may be used with a debit card. You may also create a foreign currency account, for instance in euros, to retain some funds in a different currency. Whatever account type you choose, you will need to visit the bank with your documents, such as your residency permit, passport, proof of residence, and student ID. When you open a new account with a Canadian bank, you will get your account information and a bank card, commonly known as a “debit card.”

It is essential to choose a bank that offers the best range of services and benefits, as it will be a critical tool for you throughout the next few years. Consider the bank’s location, ATM accessibility, service fees, and mobile banking features. Canada’s five main banks are CIBC, HSBC, BMO, RBC, Scotiabank, and TD all provide student banking choices, and they also offer a number of advantages to attract students each year.

  1. Canada’s education system is often lauded as one of the greatest in the world, with prestigious institutions and internationally recognized education.
  2. Canadian universities provide a wide range of programs and study options. It is practically guaranteed that you will be able to choose a degree program that interests you.
  3. Working while studying is permitted in Canada; 20 hours per week during the school year and full-time during breaks and holidays, as well as after graduation.This program, known as the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP), is a distinctive feature of Canada that permits students to stay and work in Canada for up to 3 years after graduation, enabling them to gather valuable work experience and ultimately seek permanent residence in Canada.
  4. Consider studying abroad in a country with a friendly culture, a good quality of life, excellent healthcare, a strong economy, and an emphasis on civil rights for all people. Canada is also recognized as one of the world’s leading countries in terms of quality of life, safety, and tranquility. An international student can expect to have the same freedoms and rights that Canadian citizens have while studying in Canada, making it one of the finest places to study abroad.
  5. Education and living expenses are modest in comparison to other English-speaking nations (the UK, USA, and others).
  6. Canada is a multicultural country, renowned around the world for its welcoming and friendly residents. Almost every ethnic group in the world is present. The country ensures that people’s traditions and practices are maintained, and the inherent worth and dignity of every individual are upheld. You are free to be yourself and are not obliged to adhere to a certain set of values.
  7. Canada’s immigration policy is admirable and inviting. As a result, graduates of Canadian institutions who wish to remain in the country usually have no difficulty doing so.Canada also has one of the highest immigration rates in the world. Foreign-born Canadians make up about half the population.

How much does it cost to study in Canada?

Ans: The cost of tuition varies per university. However, tuition fees in Canada vary between CAD $20,000 and CAD $40,000. Please contact us for information on individual university and program fees.

What is the difference between a study visa and a study permit?

Ans: A Student Visa is a document that only permits you to enter/re-enter Canada for the duration of its validity, whereas a Study Permit allows you to study and live in Canada lawfully as a student for the duration of its validity.

Do I need to apply for a student visa or a study permit?

Ans: International students who want to study in Canada must submit an application for a study permit. The issuance of a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA) will follow the approval of your study permit.

How much proof of funds do I need?

Ans: All international students are required to have tuition fees + CAD$10,000 (or CAD$833 per month) for a 12-month term in Canada, except in Quebec, where tuition fees + CAD$13,134 (or CAD $1,095 per month) are required.

Is an IELTS test required to submit an application for a study visa/study permit?

Ans: Canada does not require student visa applicants to take the IELTS or any other English or French language examination.

What are the processing times for a study permit?

Ans: Different countries have different processing times for study visas. We recommend you visit the immigration site here to find out how long the procedure will take. You may also track your applications from here.

How can I apply for a student visa or student permit?

International students wishing to study in Canada must have an admission letter, a passport, and evidence of financial assistance, among other documents. The letter of acceptance must also be issued by an institution recognized by the Canadian government as a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). Applicants must then submit an online application via the government of Canada’s website.

Students should not be concerned about visa applications as Study Overseas Hub will advise and support you with home country-specific requirements and processes.

What is a designated learning institution?

Ans: A Designated Learning Institution is a school authorized to admit international students by the province or territory to which it belongs. In Canada, all elementary and secondary schools are recognized as DLIs, along with most colleges and universities. You can see the full list of DLI here..

Can I stay in Canada after graduation?

Ans: Yes, the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) is a distinctive feature of Canada that permits students to stay and work in Canada for up to 3 years after graduation, enabling them to gather valuable work experience and ultimately seek permanent residence in Canada.

How can I study in Quebec?

Ans: The Quebec study procedure comprises three steps: acquiring an admission letter; applying for a CAQ (Quebec acceptance certificate); and applying to the federal government.

Can I bring my spouse to Canada?

Ans: Yes, you are welcome to bring your partner and children with you.

Can my parents accompany me on a study permit?

International students with a study permit can invite their parents to visit Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

Do I Need Health Insurance to Study in Canada?

Ans: All international students must have health insurance for the length of their education. Depending on your institution, you may be required to sign-up for a third-party health insurance plan or acquire coverage from the province.

Which Canadian province is more cost-friendly for international students?

Ans :

  •  New Brunswick
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Manitoba
  • Quebec
  • Province of British Columbia

Can I work while studying in Canada?

Ans: In Canada, international students can work 20 hours per week during the academic year and full-time during breaks and vacations.

Can I study English as a Second Language (ESL) or French (FSL) in Canada?

Ans: Yes. Many postsecondary institutions, both public and private, provide English as a Second Language (ESL) and French as a Second Language (FSL) programs.

Am I able to study in English in the Canadian province of Quebec?

Ans: Yes, you can. Many universities in Quebec provide instruction in English.

  • Canada is a North American country that shares land borders with only the United States.It’s the longest land border between two countries at a long 14,309 square kilometers (5,525 miles).
  •    Canada has a total area of 9,985,00 square kilometers (3,855,230 square miles); Land area: 9,093,000 square kilometers (3,511,003 square miles). Canada is the world’s second largest country after Russia, slightly larger than the United States and nearly three times the size of India.
  • Canada has six time zones: Newfoundland Standard Time (UTC-3:30), Atlantic Standard Time (UTC-4:00), Eastern Standard Time (UTC-5:00), Central Standard Time (UTC-6:00), Mountain Standard Time (UTC-7:00), and Pacific Standard Time (UTC-8).
  • Canada has a population of 38 million inhabitants.
  • Canada is made up of provinces, not states; there are 10 provinces and 3 territories.
  • While Ottawa is Canada’s capital (and the world’s second coldest capital after Moscow), Toronto is the country’s largest metropolis, with a population of over 6 million people.Montreal, Canada’s second biggest city with a population of over 4 million, is also the world’s second largest metropolis with a Francophone population, behind Paris in France.
  •  Canada has two official languages: English and French
  • The average winter and summer temperatures vary by region.Summer temperatures range between 25°C and 40°C, while winter temperatures range between 0°C and -15°C. Although temperatures in the winter could plummet to as low as -35°C to -40°C.
  • Canada’s currency is the Canadian dollar, denoted by CA $/C $or CAD.
  • The country code for Canada is +1.
  • Canada uses plug and socket types A and B and operates on a 120V supply voltage at 60Hz.
  • Pancakes and maple syrup are inseparable for Canadians. But the connection goes far deeper than that. Around 80% of the world’s supply is generated by small settlements in Quebec. It was also created in Quebec in the 17th or 18th centuries. It’s no surprise that the maple leaf is the national symbol of Canada.
  • Canada is the most educated country in the world.Over half of the population has completed a post-secondary education. Furthermore, Canada has a literacy rate of 99 percent, implying that almost all Canadians can read and write.
  • Most Canadians reside within 200 kilometers of the US border. Around 80% of Canada’s population resides in cities.
  • Most visitors to Canada come from the United States, the United Kingdom, and France, whereas the most popular travel destinations for Canadians are the United States, Mexico, and Cuba.
  • The Trans-Canada highway is said to be the world’s longest highway, at about 7,604 kilometers (4,725 miles) in length. It makes for a great road trip across Canada.
  • Canadians love mac and cheese; in fact, they consume more of it than any other country.
  • Canada is home to three of the world’s largest islands — Baffin Island, Victoria Island, and Ellesmere Island.
  • Quebec is the only province that is officially French-speaking, whereas New Brunswick is the only province that is officially bilingual.
  • Canadian law prohibits the publication of comics depicting illegal activities. The fact that we have some connections to famous comic books about superheroes makes this a fascinating tidbit. Both Wolverine and Superman are Canadian creations.
  • In Canada, it is unlawful to smell bad. Anyone who violates a public space with an offensive odor faces up to two years in prison.
  • Canada’s drinking age is lower than that of the United States; in most provinces, the drinking age is 19 years old, although Quebec, Alberta, and Manitoba have an 18-year-old drinking age.
  • Canada has more lakes than any other country, accounting for more than half of the world’s total.Without its lakes, Canada would be the world’s fourth largest country. Canada has a lot of fresh water. 20% of the world’s freshwater comes from over 2 million lakes, streams, and rivers in Canada. Also, around half of Canada’s land is covered in forest. Trees cover 40% of Canada’s 979 million hectares.
  • As of 2017, Canada became the 2nd nation to completely legalize marijuana. Uruguay was the first. Only two nations have completely legalized it.
  • Canada is home to one of the world’s highest immigration rates. Nearly half of Canada’s population is foreign-born.
  • In Churchill, Manitoba, no one locks the doors to their homes or vehicles for fear of a polar bear attack.
  • “Eh” is a word recognized by the Canadian Oxford dictionary. If you have been to Canada, you must have heard the word “Eh” at the end of a sentence.
  • Canadians are known for their tendency to offer sincere apologies. They use the words “I’m sorry” a lot. Visiting Canada for a lengthy period will almost certainly result in you returning home, often apologizing.
  • Studying in Canada will expose you to most of the fascinating facts.